My Baby Girl

My Baby Girl

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Jars, Jars, & more Jars

I am going for a rustic theme with our wedding so that has to include mason jars. I have been wondering where in the world I will be able to find some for a decent price or free!! I asked people on facebook, I googled, looked on craigs list, have been looking all over. The other day I just happened to mention that I was looking for some when my hubby to be says, "I know where there are a bunch and they are FREE!!!" Awesome is what I am thinking. In an old shed on the farm he noticed a whole pile of dirty old mason jars wasting space. I put them suckers in the dishwasher a couple times and good as new. I think I told him thank you about fifty times while we were dragging them out of the shed. I plan to put flowers, candles, wheat, branches, anything rustic looking into these mason jars and use them on the tables for decoration.
Thank you Rhett!!! Another thing I will be doing at the reception with jars are the little keepsakes for our guests. I have gotten into canning in the last couple of years so.... I have decided to can jam, salsa, & relish for everyone. Sounds like a lot of work I know but just think how everyone will love it. Or at least I am hoping everyone will love it. I went to bucheits on a hunt for a large amount of 4 oz canning jars. I ended up buying 180 jars! That seems like a lot but they are only 4 oz each so I am praying it won't be that bad. I already made all the little name tags that are going to get attached to the jars so that's done. Thank you free time at work! I will probably wait and do all the canning in the summer when we have fresh ingredients from our garden and nice ripe peaches for my jam. I Love peaches!! I may have a little party when its time to tie all the ribbons around the jars though. (hint, hint all fam members)
The other day at Christmas my Aunt Kay gave me a couple canning books that belonged to my Grandma Phegley. She has passed on and my aunt thought I would be interested in them since I am now into the whole canning deal. In the very back of one of the books was a cute little story. I cried when I read it the first time. You will come to find out I am very sensitive. I cry a lot over anything & everything. Although in the last couple of years I think I am getting a little better. Lord help Rhett cuz he knows I am a crier. That's prob why he never asked me to marry him because he knows how I will for sure cry at our wedding. Here is the little poem I found. I found it so sweet and wonderful I found it in this book that used to be my Grandma's. I think I just might have to enlarge, frame, & place on the table next to all the jars at the wedding reception. Just thought of that literally 2.5 seconds ago! 
One other thing that I got on Christmas day was quilt blocks that my Grandma had embroidered in the past. She never made the quilts but had made all these quilt blocks. My cousins, siblings, and I were allowed to go through them and pick which ever one we liked to take. Looking through them I really wasn't sure which I liked the best. Then I noticed the name of the one pattern was "Wedding Rings & Stars" Totally chose that pattern in an instant. It is def the little things every day that matter.

3 comments:

  1. sara if you are looking for small jars think baby food jars. ask the local daycares if you can have the empty ones. i'm sure you will have to clean them and soak them to get the paper off the outside, but FREE!! and use some burlap and like string to tye over the top to hide the lid. cute cute!

    here's what i am talking about:
    http://blog.tinyprints.com/2011/09/

    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas!! I need all the help I can get lol I'm not creative at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got some burlap & string today!! Thanks for idea!!!

    ReplyDelete