My Baby Girl

My Baby Girl

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Our Happy Home

Well peeps since the wedding is officially over & I am not pregnant YET (I know you can't wait for all the fun baby love) I have pondered over what to write about....My life really is not that exciting day to day so I am going to rewind a bit and talk about when we built our home. We had our floor plans drawn up in February 2006. Holy moly that was a long time ago but it really feels like it was just yesterday. At this point in our relationship we would've been together for 5 years long enough in our opinion to take such large step. I found a floor plan we both favored in the back of a Better Homes & Gardens magazine. We took the picture to Mr. Weseloh (a former drafting teacher at RBHS) and he drew up our official plans. I can remember when we got the bill to pay him for his services I thought oh man that is expensive. I think it was like $1100.

In 2004 we got a second dog with the intentions of breeding her with our male. All the $ we made from the puppies we raised went into our house savings account. We had puppies in our 1st & 2nd trailers & in our home now. Lots of fun & work & $!! I think we had a total of 6 litters and 64 puppies. Never lost a single one in our hands. Dakota was such a good little mommy.



After getting our floor plans drawn up it was basically just save $ and let the time pass. I don't really even remember if we had a set amount or just couldn't stand it any longer and decided to take the plunge. That plunge happened in 2008. After deciding where we wanted to build we filled out an application for a zoning meeting in January and the meeting was on March 6th. Throughout the whole building process I was extremely keen on writing everything down and in true Phegley fashion taking pictures of every single detail possible. Thank you Mother for teaching me well. Rhett said he can remember standing right there in the field and deer coming out of the woods like crazy. We do still see them quite often but now they occasionally get run off by 3 brown dogs.


Here is the exact spot our house sits now.

 
Field south of our house.
 
 
Ammo hanging out at our new place!!

 We both wanted to be off the road quite a ways so that was an important part of choosing where to build. One thing about the spot we choose was it did not have a convenient road to it so we had to clear a path through the woods. The driveway was a large portion of our expenses but it was well worth it. For some reason I didnt get any pics pre tree removal but here is the first glimpse we got of it. They started clearing the trees on April 6th 2008. Looks pretty sad in the first pictures on the left. The ones on the right side are after all the dirt was smothed out but pre rock.
 





 


 
 





Here are the cutest pictures ever of Brooke & Madison! So little & tiny!!
 
 
Eating corn from the field and standing on the pull box for our power lines.
 
Our power had to be trenched right down the middle of the driveway. The pull box has something to do with the power line. We drove to Troy, MO to pick that sucker up and it rained the entire drive there. It was horrible. I am so glad I was not the one driving and pulling a large trailer behind us. I think we ended up having a total of 6 culverts placed in various spots. This was the largest and sits at the bottom of the hill. Little blurry but you get the idea.

One hiccup the guys encountered was this lovely hunk of rock.

They had to rent some piece of equipment to break that huge thing up. My sister was flying into Chicago from Argentina at the end of July so I went with my parents to pick her up. Rhett worked so hard out in the heat the whole time I was gone. His comment last night when we were reminiscing was "I think I had heat stroke." It was hot hot hot!! Their was a good little gap of time in between the trees being removed and actually trenching/shaping the dirt. I do believe that was because it kept raining like crazy at that time of year. It finally was finished the 3rd week of August!! Then came strawing along the edges. That I clearly remember sucked a big one. The one and only time in my life I have ever had poison ivy/oak/sumac (whatever it was)

 Overall our driveway was a lot of hard work but turned out really well. I get to mow all 2000 feet out to the road and occasionally get stuck so Rhett can come pull me out. It's also fun in the winter when you invite your family over and they get stuck in the snow. (happened in 2010) Haha!!

3 years later and still making changes--------we recently had this done!
 I can now take nice walks & will be able to push a stroller on it in the future!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I'm still worried where in the world we're going to get another Lab (someday) that is as good at Dayota's offspring ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ur so sweet! Its funny in the last month I have had 2 different people ask about us breeding labs still or where to get one. Had to pull the plug eventually poor Dakota!

    ReplyDelete