My Baby Girl

My Baby Girl

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lainey's Birth Story Part 1


It has been 3 fast weeks since delivery day and I already feel like I can't remember everything. I figured it was time to document all the details from our sweet girls arrival into this world.

October 25th (Friday)
We spent the morning taking maternity pictures at Creative Bent. Rhett was unable to go the 1st go around so we went back for more. I'd like to say that getting up and down on the ground jump started the whole process of labor.....Let's just pretend it did. Thank You Anna!!!! I felt totally fine the whole time we were taking pictures. Afterwards we met my mother in-law and sister in-laws in Waterloo. Rhett headed home and we all headed to Kimswick for the day. We did quite a bit of walking and lots of eating. My meal at the Blue Owl was delicious. I had yummy salad, white chili, and chicken salad sandwich. Then of course I got desert to go! At one point I mentioned that my back was kinda hurting on the right side. I joked that maybe it was back labor. I also was texting my friends Allie & Alicia asking them what back labor felt like. Once we got home from Kimswick Rhett & I went to Steeleville to a wake at the funeral home. I was really tired from the day, had a headache, and my back still hurt. During dinner I just didn't feel the greatest and 2 different times thought maybe just maybe I had felt a contraction. What does a contraction really feel like? Am I imagining what I felt? I had no idea!! I was so nervous that I wouldn't really know when my labor was starting. Everyone reassured me that I would definitely know when it was real.

October 26th (Saturday)
I slept in and then went to my niece's cross country meet in Chester with Erin. It was a very nice morning but I still had that occasional twinge in my back. It wasn't bad just a little uncomfortable every once in a while. That afternoon my Mom & I headed to Ofallon to eat lunch with my sister & brother. Jaimee said she wanted to see me at least one more time before baby was born and since my due date was that upcoming week.....We ate at 54th Street and it was yummy as always. I just love that place! That evening I was laying on the couch watching the world series game and the contractions really started. At the time I wasn't positive that they were contractions but all I knew was my back was really hurting and it sucked. I don't remember when exactly I first started timing them but I think it was later in the evening. Every time it would hurt I would say Rhett come over here and rub my back. I'm sure I was driving him absolutely crazy. I was unable to sleep at all through the night. I took a hot bath in our tub at 3 am hoping it would give some relief. Nope! Rhett was very sweet even getting up through the night checking on me. I even called the maternity department at St. Elizabeth's asking a few questions.

October 27th (Sunday)
We did not go to church since I for one had not gotten any sleep and two felt like total crap. I spent the day attempting to get sleep, staying occupied, and taking multiple hot showers/baths. I don't know why I thought they would help bc they didn't at all but I was probably the cleanest I have ever been in my life. I had absolutely no appetite at all either. In the evening Tracey brought over her heating pad for me. Allie & Brandon also came over bringing me chicken soup. I ate a very small amount of it. The evening went about the same no sleep, back labor, and one tired preggy. I took a few more baths and showers too. I paced around the house, sat on my swiss ball, and called St. E's again. I even got Rhett up and we were about ready to head to Belleville at around 4. The nurse on the phone said it just didn't sound like I was quite ready yet to come in.

October 28th (Monday)
My back pain just kept getting stronger and more intense as time went on. Early morning Erin decided to come over with her massage chair and a few items we needed. (toilet paper & bread) Def 2 necessities! Rhett had some work things he needed to get done pronto so he was off and Erin was in. She was amazing cleaning up my house while I paced around moaning and groaning. Every time I would have a contraction she would stop what she was doing and rub my back till it ended. I had timed them through the night but they weren't extremely regular. Mid morning they were pretty well 5 minutes apart. The hospital had said that they needed to be 5 min apart for an hour and then it was time. I was watching that clock like a hawk. Every time the 5 minute mark would come I was actually hoping the contraction would come. The first time I hit that hour mark I declared that it was time to go. Rhett had just finished hauling a load of beans to FS in Evansville so he was ready as well. Erin gave me a good pep talk and we were off to the hospital. The ride to the hospital was HORRIBLE!!! Mainly bc my hubby couldn't really rub my back while concentrating on driving. We arrived at St. E's at 11:30 am. I did all the pre-registering that I could but still had to check in. I swear the lady checking me in was moving like molasses. She was soooo slow or maybe looking back now it was just because I felt like I was dying every time I had a contraction. Eventually she finished up and I was wheeled up to the 4th floor. That was silly being pushed in a wheelchair. I was in labor not injured. At 12:30 the nurse checked to see how dialated I was and the result........at a 4 and 90% effaced. I was so happy! I think if she would have said at like a one I would've flipped out. After getting an iv and some blood drawn it was time for the epidural at 2 pm. I was very nervous and even made Rhett stand in front of me so I could squeeze his hands. It was honestly not near as bad as I imagined. I don't think I even flinched at all during the process. After laying flat for a bit the nurse asked if I could feel the contraction. My response = What contraction??? Finaly some relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing to not have that stabbing achy pain on the right side of my back after 2 days worth. Now that I wasn't in pain I was hungry but since I wasn't allowed to eat I made do with 3 popsicles. At 3 pm Sylvia broke my water. She also checked me and I was dialated to a 5. At 6:30 the anesthesiologist came back and gave me a 2nd dose. My left side wasn't totally numb anymore and I was feeling quite a bit of pain. I was probably drivng my nurse crazy bc I couldn't get comfortable and kept moving around. Every time I would try to adjust myself the fetal monitor on my belly would get moved. After laying on my left side to distribute the medicine I had full relief again. At one point I got very sleepy and Rhett said my face was really shiny. The meds were really working! For the next few hours we just relaxed. I slept a little bit, watched t.v. and my Mom & sister came in for a visit. I wasn't checked again until 7 pm and I was at a 9/10. Immediately after Sylvia announced this I started feeling nausous. The feeling eventually passed and I didn't get sick. Two nurses came in and set up a table with different items needed for delivery time. Sylvia had 2 other Moms in labor so she was going back and forth between all of us. I ended up laying there until 9:30 pm and then tried pushing. After a couple times it was decided we needed to wait just a little while longer. By the time Sylvia was able to make it back to me to try pushing again it was 11:15 pm and I was ready. She was a busy bee with all her patients.

To Be Continued....












2 comments:

  1. 2 whole days with back labor ... you're a trooper!! I need to get Brooke's birth story documented - asap! :-)

    ReplyDelete