My Baby Girl

My Baby Girl

Friday, June 22, 2012

Today It's All About AMMO





Happy Happy Birthday to our sweet doggie Ammo Carl Simpson. (yes we give our dogs full names). Today he is the big 10 in dog years & 70 in human years. He is by far the sweetest most lovable dog ever. (I am a little biased though) You all know I don't have human kids yet but I do have my furry kids. Our dogs are spoiled rotten & def have a not so rough life.
                                                     


                                                     2nd Birthday Pork Chop meal




Let me take you all back circa August 2002. My 17th Birthday. Lots of exciting stuff happens on my birthday.....new puppies, new eyeglasses, engagements! This is when Rhett lived with his sister Erin still at the  trailer. I pull up from the driveway and to my surprise is an absolutely adorable, fat, poop covered puppy chained to the tree. What a precious chunk from the beginning. I just asked how he picked him out way back when & he actually said that his brother Jeremy was the one who picked him from the litter. Thank you thank you thank you Jeremy!! You sure picked a great one! So when Ammo came to us all covered in poop his name was actually...you guessed it CARL. Hence the name Ammo Carl. No way could we use it on a first name basis but it kinda stuck. We proceeded to take him to Erin's bath tub and cleaned him up. I do remember asking Rhett "ummm did you even ask your sister if you could a dog?". His response "uh no". Poor Erin! She is such a saint bc she didn't kick Rhett or the dog out. Ammo is a lot like his good ol Mom he is sensitive. I cry at the drop of a hat and he can get such a sad face too. If he knows he did something bad and you even give him the slightest look he puts his little head down and it just melts your heart.





From the beginning Ammo of course chewed a lot of stuff up. A few specific things that ring a bell....Nintendo  cords, shoes, blinds (at the 2nd trailer), carpet, wood door frames, bumpers. I think the list could probably go on & on. He still gets into the trash. It would probably happen daily but I always place our trash cans on top of the island counter top when we leave. Every once in a while I forget and lo & behold if their is something yummy smelling he finds it. Once he got into a pan of brownies on top of the stove, ate them, knocked over pot of veg oil, & canister of flour in the process. Boy that was a mess. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of that.


From the beginning Rhett took Ammo with him everywhere. He would load him up in his 89" white mustang gt and away they went to work. Once we came home and he was no where to be seen in the little shed where we parked our vehicles. Then all of a sudden we saw it, the chain was draped across the front of the mustang & went into the window. He had jumped into the car and was just relaxing. He would ride in the tractor too. Ammo has literally never been in a kennel ever. We used to attempt by throwing a ball in and he would scoot his front body in leaving butt & back legs outside of kennel retrieving ball. At the first trailer we lived in their was a huge bush out front. Rhett & his friends would throw a ball into the bush and Ammo would take a running leap into the bush to catch it.Thinking back I can not believe they used to do that. Ammo loooooved to retrieve anything so he wouldn't even think twice about jumping in that huge bush. His favorite toy was a Frisbee. We went through many old navy Frisbees until they stopped making them. Once I bought like 5 at one time so we were stocked up. 

enjoying his souvenir doggie doughnut from Gatlinburg 



He also has had his fair share of roaming trips. When we lived at Bitz's trailer he would leave our house constantly go across the field to my in laws. That was not a big deal but he would also go across the road to Jeremy's too. One time he visited Meghan's house about 1 mile away from where we lived. He had never even really been to her house so I am not sure how he ended up in her neck of the woods....silly dog. She called us to let us know he was there. In the process of waiting for our arrival Ammo got scared and Meghan tried to catch him. He managed to knock her down and she got all scraped up. I sent her flowers at work to apologize. (I swear I am not making this up!!) While working on our house one day when it was being built we look out the living room window and who is in the back yard....Ammo. Guess he was bored at home and decided to come check out the future pad. He had probably only been to the house a few times in the back of the pick up truck. I swear that dog is so stinking smart for his own good. He really is! Once we moved into our house now he used to leave and go to my in laws for a swim in the lake. Now we have our own lake so he can swim whenever he wants.



These days are pretty low key for Ammo. When we leave he stays upstairs inside the house because going up and down the stairs to the basement is too much. He has arthritis so he does not play fetch much at all. Occasionally if I know he is really feeling good Rhett or I will throw the toy a short distance for him.  He does still like to swim but doesn't ever venture out on his roaming trips anymore. Every day he gets a glucosamine chondroiten pill wrapped in a piece of cheese to help his joints. He is still the sweetest most lovable dog ever. Our nieces & nephews could climb all over him and he just lays there good as gold. When I drive up our lane getting home from work at night he still greets me pretty far down. The day when that doesn't happen any more will be a very sad one. I know Rhett could write a book with hunting stories he shared with Ammo. So I hear he was a pretty awesome hunting dog. He has been proud daddy to 60 puppies with Dakota. All cute & lovable just like him. I hope people out there with one of our puppies know how much our dogs mean to us & that we loved those puppies just as much! In my heart I know that we will always be a dog family and my kids will grow up loving a dog too.

Happy Birthday Ammo! We love you!!!
I have never actually made a birthday cake for any of our dogs so this was the year!!! They all loved it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment