My Baby Girl

My Baby Girl

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

1st picture of the Trip! We both look like lunatics. Rhett thought he was being cute here. 


Alright so I would be lying if I told you I wasn't nervous about the flight to Hawaii. I was super nervous! The last time I flew I was age 13 and it was like 1999. (I know your singing that Prince song in your head now bc I started to after writing that) That was back when I thought it was cool to wear a black beret hat with every outfit I owned. If you knew me then you know the ugly sucker I am talking about. Rhett flew 2 days before our wedding back in October so he was still pretty fresh. While waiting at the airport to leave we had breakfast from Dunkin Doughnuts. I guess I was pretty out of it bc I ordered one sandwich thinking it was a different one. Then I was complaining because they gave me the wrong thing. Actually I was looking at the price thinking it was the # of the meal. Geesh all I wanted was a sausage & cheese croissant. I ended up with a flat bread turkey sausage egg whites. That was God's way of telling me to eat one last halfway healthy meal before going to gorge myself for a week. When we got on the first plane I about died. It was tiny!!! Rhett was like,"What did you expect? Lounge chairs, couches??" I don't know what I expected but not the itty bitty plane we stepped into. We flew United and our airfare was taken care of by Pioneer because it was included in the package for the trip. The planes were different on each flight we took and we had 4 different ones. On the first plane their were 2 rows of seats on each side with an aisle down the middle. I had the window seat and Rhett was snoozing before we even left the ground. I was smacking him and trying to hold his hand for a little comfort. I had my 2 packs of gum out & ready to pop in my mouth for takeoff. It was still dark outside so nothing to see. We flew to Denver and then had a short layover. I sure am glad we had The Rohlfings with us because Trudie sure knew where to go & what to do. We loaded onto the 2nd plane for the looooong flight to Hawaii. The plane had 3 seats on each side with an aisle down the middle. Rhett got the window seat and we kept praying that each person walking by wouldn't stop to join us. Luckily we didn't have a 3rd person so we had extra room. By 8 am we had eaten our lunch meat sandwiches. During this flight was when Rhett began writing on the i pad. Here is his perspective of the days events.





Well today is Sat February the second and we started our morning pretty early. We met Allyn & Trudie Rohlfing at their house at 3 am to head to the airport. We got to Lambert at 4 am, checked in and to our loading gate by 5. We grabbed a bite to eat while waiting to depart. We flew on a little plane to Denver Colorado. Barely had enough room to breathe it was so tiny. We flew at 36,000 ft on the first plane. Boarded a big plane in Denver and headed out towards Hawaii. We've been flying for about six hours at 30,000 ft now and have two more to go before we land. We've been trying to occupy ourselves by reading and watching movies. We ate a few small odds in ends even sleeping. It is hard to get comfortable in these seats but we are gonna make it. It was neat to fly over the mountains in Colorado and now it's all ocean below. Pretty to look at but only for a limited time.

While on the plane we played the halfway to Hawaii game. Rhett was really getting into it and trying to calculate the exact halfway mark on time. He was off by 26 minutes and the lady sitting across from us won. She was only off by 26 seconds. We took full advantage of all 3 seats taking turns sprawling our legs out on each other. It was difficult to sleep but we sure tried hard. We finally reached the lovely island of Oahu a little before 1:00 p.m. (5 back home) Since we had been up since 2 am and only had around 3 hours of sleep we were both exhausted but excited. I thought Rhett was going to get sick as we landed. Lots of belly flops and it felt like being on a roller coaster. People with Pioneer signs picked us up from the airport and drove us 45 minutes to our hotel in the gorgeous Ko Olina Resort. 



Hawaii Airport


On the bus heading to hotel! 
We were so happy to not be in the air anymore!!


2 comments: